Thursday 14 October 2010

TWIST'N'SHOUT

From birth, right up until I was around 15 years old, my mum spent countless hours plaiting, twisting, hot combing and moisturising my natural hair - just as she had done with both of my sisters before me.  My hair was thick, healthy, big and beautiful but as I got deeper into my rebellious teens, I pleaded to have my hair chemically straightened or permed.  At 15, the chemicals were applied to my long, virgin hair and well... that was the end of that.

But today I'm having a childhood hair flashback.  TWISTS.


It has been nine days since I first chopped off my extensions and relaxed hair and decided to grow out my natural hair.  After conditioning and moisturising it lots over the past few days, I was finally able to completely detangle it all and put it into little twists, like the ones I wore as a child.


It's strange to think that less than 2 weeks ago, the back of my head looked like this...

taken at the Palatine in Rome September2010

I feel completely different.  I'm sure that's partly due to the things I'm dealing with right now but a teeny weeny bit of it must be because of this new/old hair....
I think I'm on the road to really feeling like ME.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment