Tuesday 12 October 2010

GENESIS

It has been 11 long and painful days since I first heard the news that my eldest sister had committed suicide.  Eleven days and that's the fist time I have been able to say those words... 'committed suicide'.  

Sometimes when terrible things happen, we react in ways which may be seen as odd to others but for the individual it can be the best form of therapy.

My decision to remove my hair extensions came four days after I first received that call from my dear mother and the police woman who was with her.
Perhaps it was symbolic of my desire to start anew, perhaps it was a way of distracting myself from what was happening.... 
As I pulled out the last of my extensions and looked at my lank, unhealthy, chemically relaxed hair that lay underneath, something unexpected happened.  Suddenly I had a pair of scissors in hand and I was cutting away at my actual hair.  I didn't stop until all that was left were my unrelaxed roots.


FREEDOM.

So this is my way of documenting this new chapter in my life and sharing the experience of growing my natural afro hair.

Initially, it was just going to be a YouTube channel, so I recorded the video below a bit earlier .....


See you very soon.

Miggy.x

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about your sister. This you have probably heard so many times before. I hope you are able to express your emotions to those who are supportive of you. Grief is a very powerful part of life, and I guess things are still pretty raw for you. but I guess I will leave my comment there as we are still strangers! I just wanted to voice something to you tho, whether it helps or not. All the best. x0x

    ReplyDelete